ES IST SOWEIT: Der PDSV Cup 2024 hat begonnen! Teilnahmebedingungen: viewtopic.php?f=53&t=58164
Der PDSV Cup dient zur Finanzierung des Pulverdampf Forums. Bitte unterstützt unser Forum, danke!

The return of EOTech by KD

Neuigkeiten zum Thema Waffenzubehör
Antworten
snakedocter
massive poster
massive poster

The return of EOTech by KD

Beitrag von snakedocter » Fr 23. Jul 2010, 10:59

I started out using red dot sights in 1995, the models were the Aimpoint 3000 and 5000 if memory serves. Back then you couldn't get one until you had a little time in and had proven yourself with iron sights. Once you did get one, wow, what a difference in speed! My only complaint was the 4 MOA dots AP used and continues to use weren't that accurate. I was actually more accurate with irons!

In 1999, during a carbine refresher class, Jerry Barnhart introduced us to EOTech. Jerry was a Michigan boy and EOTech was headquatered there, so it was a natural fit for him to be using their sight. Jerry showed us the ins and outs of the sight, and we purchased about 100 or so. Again, if memory serves, it was called a Holosight at the time and Bushnell was the majority ownwer instead of L3 Communications.

I used an EOTech primarily because it was more accurate for our 200m quals with its 1MOA center dot, and the 6 o'clock portion of the 65 MOA ring was primo for CQB type shooting, as it provided a true POA/POI at 7-10m. Around 2000 we got the EOTech 552s that ran on double A's. At the time we were trying like mad to get all systems (sights, lights, goggles, lasers, GPS) to run off of one battery type and with the 552 we could achieve that. But because of the battery issues with the 552 I switched back to AP for my last 2 years in the military.

The problems with the battery compartments on the 512 and 552 models have been addressed before. I recently did a tutorial here on how to make the battery compartment bomb proof. This was the one weak spot in an otherwise excellant product. It is the reason I used an AP for so long until now.
Bild
And now..... EOTech has not only dramatically improved their product, they also upped the ante in the red dot world with the new XPS series. The biggest thing they did was listen to the end-users about what was needed, not needed, and they executed the final product in the XPS.

EOTech and I talked a few months ago about me giving the XPS a good thrashing. I made it known I preferred and reccommended to others the AP Micro. Rod Coons at EOTech sounded supremely confident in the XPS and said he even knew of my reputation for abusing gear. So began the beating.
I've got about 5000 rds through the XPS and I've had no problems whatsoever. I use the "standard" EOTech recticle. That is a 65 MOA ring with a 1 MOA dot in the center. That way I can be very accurate for distance and fast for up close work. There is no recticle that I know of that is "faster" than this one. That recticle is also useful in range estimation. Average man will fit in the ring at 100 yds, half the ring at 200, etc.

Notice that EOTech listend to our complaints about the battery compartment as well. They switched it to go perpindicular to the barrel and recoil. This eliviates the battery compartment problems of old. It also runs on 1 CR 123 battery, vice 2 AAs or 2 of anything else. This is key aspect in space (on the rail, think lasers) and weight saving.
The battery lasts a long time. EOTech claims 600 hours, which right now I believe it will do. I went over 400 hours in the cold before I inadvertantly changed the battery out.

EOTech also claims waterproofness to 33 feet (1 atm) for the XPS 3. I'm confident of that rating. So of course I threw it in the water. I didn't make 33 feet, but I got it to 12-15 ft for over 4 hours until I got bored. Re-mounted (as with most sights, it reatins a pretty close zero) and it was good-to-go.
I'm switching to an EOTech XPS because I believe in it, its price is fair, and for the benefits of accuracy, speed, and now its durability and battery life. I don't convince easily when it comes to optics and sights in general. That's why I still run solid mounted irons. I'm paranoid! I ran a Micro for a while but I now think this is the best available optic for a fighting weapon. EOTech fixed the problems they had, actually improved the product and that says a lot.

There is one more reason that is important to me right now, the most important reason- EOTechs are made in Ann Arbor, MI, USA. EOTech is employing hundreds of Americans in a state that has seen the worst of our reccession. At a time like this, manufacturing quality usually doesn't improve in any industry. The good folks at EOTech are making an exception, and I, TigerSwan, and my bros that are still in sincerely appreciate it.

Much respect,
KD
Bild
Can't save the world? Then prepare for its END!

woodchuck
Supporter 14,5x115
Supporter 14,5x115

Re: The return of EOTech by KD

Beitrag von woodchuck » Fr 23. Jul 2010, 16:47

hmm, 600 stunden ist immer noch wenig im vergleich zur konkurrenz :think:

snakedocter
massive poster
massive poster

Beitrag von snakedocter » Fr 23. Jul 2010, 19:39

woodchuck hat geschrieben:hmm, 600 stunden ist immer noch wenig im vergleich zur konkurrenz :think:

ja gegen ein comp M2/M3 oder gar M4 kommt nichts an

vom mirco höhrt man auch dass es weit unter den angaben liegen soll
lamp hat es im dauertest auf knapp 1000std gebracht
meines ist nach 1600std ausgegangen
Bild

woodchuck
Supporter 14,5x115
Supporter 14,5x115

Beitrag von woodchuck » Sa 24. Jul 2010, 08:43

für uns zivilisten ist es noch nicht so schlimm, aber wenn bei der truppe im einsatz das licht ausgeht :snooty:
und murphy schläft nie ;)

snakedocter
massive poster
massive poster

Beitrag von snakedocter » Sa 24. Jul 2010, 10:18

woodchuck hat geschrieben:für uns zivilisten ist es noch nicht so schlimm, aber wenn bei der truppe im einsatz das licht ausgeht :snooty:
und murphy schläft nie ;)

im sportschützen betrieb hält es sicher 1 jahr
Bild

Antworten